[opendtv] Re: Fw: Re: Post on alt.tv.tech.hdtv of interest today

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 07:47:32 -0400

Whoops!

Sent before the entire message was finished. Here is the whole thing.

>Excellent. So you agree then that this:
>
>John Shutt wrote:
>>
>>  I believe Craig has mentioned 6 or 8 medium power
>>  transmitters ringing Manhattan would do the trick, with
>>  a properly designed DTV SFN.
>
>does not "do the trick."

Agreed.

I have on several occasions talked about the number of synchronized
transmitters it would take to cover the core New York market. I have
never tried to determine the make-up of the entire network that might
be used to serve what is geographically considered to be the New York
market. There is no precise answer to such a question. The answer
will depend on the degree of localization that is desired in the
overall market, and the economic justification to serve RF challenged
environments.

For example, someone thought it would be useful to be able to listen
to radio broadcasts in the Lincoln and Holland Tunnels. It is all a
matter of establishing priorities and setting achievable goals.

I think Bert is obsessing over this notion that it will take a huge
number of SFN sites to do the job properly. There are MANY options
for the design of such networks. Obviously these options are driven
by real world considerations and economics. It is the real world
demand for cellphone service in NYC that resulted in one system
operator installing more than 1000 cells. In the real world, DTV SFNs
will initially provide broad market coverage, then over time
repeaters and gap fillers will be added as needed.