[opendtv] Re: Fw: [Mp4-tech] Which Codec implementation is better [ software basedor Hardware Based ]

  • From: "Ralph P. Manfredo" <rmanfredo@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 10:58:47 -0800

Hi  Shanmugam T:

While that is true, A/V sync is more difficult using software and requires a
dedicated CPU or a high performance CPU and/or both if you want to do
anything other than decode a TV program.  Also, if changing to a program
that is compressed using a different algorithm, such as from MPEG-4 to
MPEG-2, unless the software is very complex, a new decoder will have to be
loaded and started, which will take a little time based on the OS, hard disk
performance, etc.  We have done some significant tests and a software
decoder has never beat a hardware decoder in performance in both video
quality, A/V sync and in speed of coming on line.

Regards,

Ralph

Ralph P. Manfredo
President and CEO

rmanfredo@xxxxxxxx

BroadBand Networks Corporation
2530 Berryessa Road, No. 237
San Jose, CA 95050

Phone:  408.988.2060
Fax:      408.988.2188
Cell:      559.289.2669

www.bbnc.com

Leaders in MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 video over ATM and IP Networks