[opendtv] Re: From jhalphen-Paris/France

  • From: Cliff Benham <flyback1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 02:18:37 -0400

Hello,
I'm sorry this message I forwarded to OpenDTV got there incomplete, without the disclaimer I added stating that it was from the Audiokarma Discussion Group and also that I had no way to check it's correctness.

I forwarded it looking for some verification. While what's in it is interesting for France, the author may not be aware of the advances continuing to be made in other parts of the world.
Cliff

Barry Wilkins wrote:
Hi Cliff,

You wrote "France was the first country to enter Free Terrestrial HDTV broadcasting using MPEG-4 technology."

Actually, that is not so. New Zealand has been operating Free to air Terrestrial DTV (DVB-T) in HD using MPEG-4 since April this year . I know, I'm using it. Fantastic picture quality. STBs are now around NZ $298. Our version also uses AAC+ audio. Check out the New Zealand Freeview website.

Regards

Barry Wilkins

On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 2:06 PM, Cliff Benham <flyback1@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:flyback1@xxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Just tootin' the horn here, but today at 15:30PM French local time
    (GMT + 1) France was the first country to enter Free Terrestrial
    HDTV broadcasting using MPEG-4 technology.

    6 channels are available as of today, with many more later.

    The signal is broadcast in UHF Band IV/V (470-860 MHz) alongside
    the old SECAM L signal.

    France selected MPEG-4 as the 1080/50/i signal occupies the same
    Multiplex channel bandwith as an SD 625 signal.

    Some sites (sorry, in French) about the event:

    http://www.lesnumeriques.com/news_id-6519.html

    http://www.tvnthd.com/V2/pages/286/index.php

    For once we're not 10 years behind everyone else ...

    Best Regards

    jhalphen
    Paris/France

    in the subject line.