[opendtv] Re: From Broadcast Engineering - WRAL tests mobile DTV

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 08:41:53 -0700

Well, to be hyper-technical, there is no compression of PSIP or PSI.  They are
not sending uncompressed essence ...

John Willkie

From: "Don Moore" <don@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 02:40:56
To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

WRAL has the advantage of Full-Bandwidth to Cable and (I assume)
Satellite.  The Raleigh Market has high cable/satellite penetration,
meaning that WRAL can sacrifice their OTA Bandwidth to mobile
customers since a large percentage of their viewers are cable and
satellite.  The net result is different streams to different
receivers.

They have the luxury of being able to feed cable homes one
uncompressed signal with its various sub-channels, while OTA viewers
watch the compressed ATSC signal.

I'm not saying it's bad, it's just circumventing what the intention of
HDTV was supposed to be and doing something that most broadcasters can
not duplicate because of either their relationship with their local
cable systems or lack of advanced research in the technology.  Not
everybody can pull this off.

Are we creating One Program Service for Cable/Satellite/Internet and a
second for OTA?

On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 11:41 PM, Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Supposedly from Broadcast Engineering though I copied it from AVS
> <http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1056025>.  I'm not sure  I
> understand it correctly but it looks like they got a total of 900 kbps  (2
> channels, 300+600) after error correction overhead from using a total of 4.5
> mbps of the channel bandwidth.
>
> - Tom

> From Broadcast Engineering - WRAL tests mobile DTV
> Broadcast Engineering Mobile TV Update
>
> WRAL tests mobile DTV
>
> Users in Raleigh-Durham reported reliable signal reception in most parts of
> the station's existing coverage area.
>
> WRAL-DT, the CBS affiliate in Raleigh-Durham, NC, owned by Capitol
> Broadcasting Company (CBC), conducted a series of mobile DTV tests last week
> using the Mobile-Pedestrian-Handheld (MPH) system promoted by Harris
> Broadcast and others. Hosted by CBC's New Media Group, the tests featured
> seven handsets given to station executives living in different parts of the
> state. Users reported reliable signal reception in most parts of the
> station's existing coverage area.
>
> To kick off the July 21-25 trial, the station hosted a reception last
> Tuesday in which about 50 participants were driven in a bus around the area
> with prototype LG Electronics mobile handsets that featured MPH-compatible
> reception chips inside. Signal reception of two channels (half rate at
> 600kb/s and one-quarter rate at 300kb/s) using about 4.5Mb/s (including
> turbo coding) of the station's 19.4Mb/s on-air DTV stream was reportedly
> strong everywhere they went during the 10-minute ride — even at 70 miles per
> hour.
>
> The goal of the service, according to John Harris, WRAL's director of
> programming, is to extend the reach of the station's television channel, and
> make it available everywhere our viewers are. The initial plan is to
> simulcast the on-air DTV signal. WRAL-TV broadcasts CBS network and its own
> local programming in the 1080i HDTV format as well as in SD digital.
>
> "We're excited about the possibilities," John Harris, WRAL's director of
> programming, told Broadcast Engineering. "The priority is to offer WRAL's TV
> signal in another way, in another place. I took one [handset] east of the
> station and I just kept driving until the signal dropped out. I got pretty
> far before that happened, so I can see the potential of this service."
>
> LG Electronics, Zenith Electronics and Harris, all proponents of the MPH
> scheme, helped out with the field trials. WRAL-DT uses a Harris Sigma CVD
> UHF transmitter, with an MPH module, for the weeklong test.
>
> In a statement, James F. Goodmon, CEO of CBC, said "mobile DTV broadcasting
> enables WRAL to better serve our viewers, communities, and advertisers by
> providing a strong combination of anywhere access, two-way communication,
> and mobility."
>
> In 1996, Harris worked with WRAL-DT as one of the first DTV stations in the
> [...]

b‹œju
I@R     úèšØ^:—§
5eŠËbžÜ(Á¬¬Rȧ‚Ø^PÔ” ‘ ¢išØ§Ê‹«ºÇ«r‰ßŠ
«jبžÇ­¶)౫E­ç‹ŠËl¢¸Êǧv)àjg¬±¨¶Š)zwm¾·ª¹ë-~·ž–+-²ŠàÂ+a¶°¢·nžË›±Êâm觶¬¹¸ÞrÙb