[opendtv] Re: Fritts Fears Powell Is 'Abandoning' Digital Transition

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 12:20:55 -0400

John,

I know  you think that, and being in the business of selling HDTV I can
understand why you do.  However, the ability to deliver HDTV was a byproduct
of going digital, as was the possibility of multicasting.  Craig would say
that the Broadcasters used HDTV as a placeholder to make sure they kept all
6 MHz of their allotted slice of the spectrum pie, and I would say that
multicasting was a way to compensate the broadcasters for having to spend
over $2 million per station for the conversion process.

However, the exclusive drive towards going digital AT THIS POINT IN HISTORY
by January 1, 2007, was to sell spectrum.  Period.

Cheers,

John Shutt