[opendtv] Re: 'Friends' Finale Delivers 51.1 Million Viewers

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 16:35:12 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> The power of program adjacency is not all that it once was; we may be
> on the verge of the formation of new kinds of loyalties to episodic
> programing, thanks in part to the PVR, and in part to the ability to
> form communities of interest around popular content via the Internet.
> This raises the stakes for the content producers, while diminishing
> the power of the distributors, who have used the "artificial
> scarcity" of distribution to build their exclusive franchises.
>
> With the PVR, anytime can be prime time.

I continue to find this surreal.

The era of the "program adjacency" as being anything of real value
must have disappeared more than 20 years ago, with the arrival of
the IR remote control and the VCR. I can't imagine why anyone would
have held on so long to the old concept, unless it was just one of
those customs the advertizers find hard to replace.

Any idiot with TV Guide on his lap and a remote control has been
able to customize his own prime time for decades. And with a VCR,
or two, even more so. The VCR(s) made conflicts and schedules a
thing of the past. I just don't get this PVR hype.