[opendtv] Re: Freeview tops poll of TV innovations

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 18:51:12 -0400

Bob Miller wrote:

> Better reception, more content including quite a few
> digital radio channels and a better picture, that would
> be enough for me to call it the biggest TV innovation in
> the last decade. How about the last 60 years.

You mean, exactly the sort of changes that were introduced here by
cable, in the late '70s and early '80s, only a little less so? More
choice, better picture that available OTA, and even FM radio in many or
most cases.

Obviously, it's free with Freeview. Then again, people don't mind paying
over here. Evidently.

But this is not a different way of consuming TV. It's very much of a
"more of the same," as far as I'm concerned.

> More interesting to me is that 16.1 million out of 24.6
> million UK households, 65% had at least one OTA DTV
> receiver as of the end of March. Could that be 68% today?
> And 9.6 million UK homes are DTTV OTA ONLY, that's 39%.

I could understand the enthusiasm if it came from someone who has been
relying on OTA TV all along. But I can't understand your enthusiasm. I
mean, I'd love that to be the case here, but most people have gone way
beyond what you're raving about, Bob. They get that and more, with
cable. VOD, broadband access, cable-specific PVRs. So what's the deal?