[opendtv] Freeview in new Zealand?

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OpenDTV Mail List <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 12:50:09 -0400

Some input from our friends in New Zealand.

I am getting press releases about the launch of a Freeview service in New Zealand. Apparently it is now operational via satellite using DVB-S receivers, and wwill be available via DTT next year, as indicated in the following release from the Digital TV Group in the U.K.

Any feedback on public perception and interest in this service?

http://www.dtg.org.uk/news/news.php?id=1742

New Zealand's FreeView to launch next year

New Zealand is to adopt the UK's Freeview model, with a similar brand name, for digital terrestrial television (DTT). Free-to-air broadcaster TVNZ is teaming up with CanWest, Maori TV, The New Zealand Racing Board, and Radio New Zealand to provide a free-to-air DTT service from early next year called FreeView. FreeView will be distributed via DTT to major towns and cities. Satellite transmission will be used to reach 25% of the population outside those areas. Transmission services will be provided by Broadcast Communications Limited, part of the THL Group. The New Zealand government will spend NZ$25m to get FreeView established, but as in the UK, most of the cost in setting up FreeView will be met by broadcasters. THL Group CEO Geoff Hunt said: "For a small up-front investment, viewers will soon have access to free-to-air, quality programming, interactive TV guides, wide-screen format and multi-camera viewing. "As a company, we are pleased with the government's decision to go ahead with DTT, but we are also excited about the technological and lifestyle leap this represents for New Zealand." Lovelace Consulting | 19.06.2006