[opendtv] Re: Freedom from 8VSB

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2010 19:05:28 -0400

Ron Economos wrote:

> Bob Miller will enjoy this.

http://broadcastengineering.com/RF/new-advocacy-group-freedom-8vsb-modulation-dtv-broadcasters-1104/

Depends what they mean by efficiency.

Of course things can be improved now, to get better efficiency. If *spectral*
efficiency is the main goal, then LTE is certainly not the answer. The ultimate
in spectral efficiency is achieved with the best possible error correction,
best possible equalizers, and with single carrier schemes. And with the FCC
yanking even more frequencies away, you also have to consider reducing the
distance between transmitters on a given channel, which means the lowest
possible peak to average ratio.

I just posted a comparison of the various spectral efficiency figures for 2G
through 4G TDMA, CDMA, and LTE.

If  spectral efficiency is not the prime concern, if single carrier schemes are
deemed a non-starter because they aren't robust enough for terrestrial service,
then we could agree to compromise some of the spectral efficiency, and some of
the PAPR, trading it off for easier reception.

It is not very difficult to explain that these are all tradeoffs. I don't think
it's difficult to understand that spectral efficiency should be a prime
consideration too. I don't think these advocacy groups should assume people are
too stupid to get it.