[opendtv] Free OTA Receiver (DVB-T)

  • From: "Bob Miller" <robmxa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2007 15:46:08 -0400

Horrors, you have to sign up for an up to EIGHT Mbps broadband and
TALK ANYTIME phone bundle that cost $40 per month to get this free OTA
receiver.

http://www.advanced-television.com/2006/news_archive_2006/apr02_apr06.htm#t1

"The set-top box, which will not be sold in shops, will be free to
non-cable customers taking Virgin Media's up to 8MB broadband and Talk
Anytime phone bundle at £19.99 a month (E30)."

That includes more than "40 TV channels and 25 radio stations and red
button interactivity. It has a Virgin Media-branded electronic
programme guide,"

Of course they don't have HD on OTA yet,  they will, and then Virgin
will offer an even better deal most likely.

Similar deals, though including what is HD OTA today, would be
prevalent in the US by now if we had a decent modulation like they
have in the UK.

http://www.ukfree.tv/fullstory.php?storyid=1107051203

This article says 15 million Freeview receivers were sold by end of
last year. Approaching 17 million by now and before this Virgin deal
even starts.

England has 25.7 million households so 17 million receivers sold is
significant. They have over 8.2 million homes that are ONLY Freeview
or almost a THIRD of UK homes are OTA DTV ONLY!

It will be 2050 before a THIRD of US homes have any OTA if ever IMO if
we stay with our current junk modulation ATSC 8-VSB.

Bob Miller