[opendtv] Re: Frames Per Second of 720P

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 21:35:59 -0400

The TV I mentioned watching on my Sprint cell phone was on a phone made by HTC. They are in the business of making mobile phone/computers, not selling cell service.

So they have lots of incentive to add desirable features.

- Tom

Albert Manfredi wrote:
Bob Miller wrote:

You say below, "Europe has proven that DVB-T is receivable
by in-car receivers, portable devices, and laptops.  Adding
DVB-H brings in the handheld cell phones."

The fact is that in Europe they are selling cell phones that
receive DVB-T and free OTA DTV today.

Be that as it may, DVB-H reception on cell phones took some doing. Let alone
low-power, typically single-tall-stick DVB-T, whose coverage is computed based
on 10 meter (30') high, outdoor receive antennas.

But I'll ask you what I asked John Shutt, then. If FOTA TV receivers
incorporated in cell phones are so successfully built in Europe, how come it's
like pulling teeth here?

Here is John's position on the matter, which is unrelated to modulation:

"However, if it is a free service, what incentive do cell phone providers have in
including the tuner in handsets? Do they provide AM/FM tuners now? No. Why did they start
putting in cameras? Because of consumer demand? NO, because of data transmission fees
when you send a picture to someone else. If there is no subscription, there is no service
in a cell phone."

Transfer the argument to Europe. Can you answer what would make Europe so
different?

Tom Barry                  trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx