[opendtv] Re: Frames Per Second of 720P

  • From: Cliff Benham <flyback1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 15:35:29 -0400

John Willkie wrote:
Perhaps they are worried about copper thieves?

I've heard you complain about the demark being inside the home.  I happened
to talk to a Verizon rep (from Apple Valley, CA) a few weeks ago, and her
husband, a former mechanic, now a FIOS installer.

FIOS provides something like 324 MB/second to the home.  Have you, in your
professional career, ever seen a fiber demark outside a building?  I have
only seen fiber demarks inside buildings, and they were always powered from
the shore, not through the fiber.

The reality is that primary lines across the nation went down 2.6% in 2Q
2008, and will only continue to decline, and only a small part of that is
due to FIOS.  Copper is legacy and too expensive to support.  You should
anticipate paying serious money in the future to keep copper.

John Willkie

I have a Verizon Wideband Wireless Internet connection. These are small cellphone-like units with USB connectors that usually are sold for use with laptops. I'm using mine with my PC at home.

I got one in about 5 minutes at the Verizon Wireless Store at the Mall,
took it home, loaded the software, plugged it in and 'it just works'!

Also got a $50 rebate because I happened to purchase it during their promotional sales period ending in June.

It is great. No bother with installers or changes to my phone line.

As for the price of a copper connection going up, It will be a very long time until the PA Utility Comission will agree to that.