[opendtv] Re: Frames Per Second of 720P

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 15:30:51 -0400

John Shutt wrote:

> If Qualcomm and Verizon/AT&T cannot make a subscription service
> profitable, what chance do a nationwide patchwork quilt of local
> broadcasters partnered with second tier mobile providers have?

Not much. I thought that was the point the report made up front, though,
when they said that at a low $5 to $10/mo subscription fee, penetration
of M/H service would still be low. And that's why the report focused its
analysis on a FOTA service.

> If there aren't enough more measurable eyeballs, then what
> chance does a free service have?

Perhaps not much, but it *ought* to be better than any subscription
service can provide, assuming roughly the same amount of choice. And
that last assumption, on program choice, was also suggested in the
report, when they made the point that broadcasters in a market would
have to cooperate to make attractive offerings to M/H customers. Because
no one broadcaster would be likely to transmit more than one stream on
M/H.

I'm not saying I agree with them on viability, just repeating their
position.

> However, if it is a free service, what incentive do cell phone
> providers have in including the tuner in handsets? Do they
> provide AM/FM tuners now? No. Why did they start putting in
> cameras? Because of consumer demand? NO, because of data
> transmission fees when you send a picture to someone else. If
> there is no subscription, there is no service in a cell phone.

Well, maybe that's the part I'll never understand. Didn't you just show
me an MP3 player with FOTA DVB-T capability? Is it that in the US
market, consumers are only interested when there's a subscription fee to
be paid? So, if Crown Castle or Qualcomm can't make it work with
subsciption fees, forget about a FOTA variant?

You may be right, of course. Just like the recent discussion of PVRs
here vs in Australia.