[opendtv] Re: Frames Per Second of 720P

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 10:16:30 -0700

Double-digit per month churn rates means that within a year, there are no
phones in use, just a few people who haven't given up on the limited and
expensive service.

$326 million in sunk costs, $55 million per year in expenses and zero
revenues (even I didn't predict such a low level of revenues) means it's
unsustainable unless something is done.

Compare $15-$20 per month to FREE, and much content, including local news.

John Willkie

From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> But, what if M/H uses time-slicing techniques like DVB-H and MediaFlo?

I would hope that it does.  In fact, to carry the "H" designation, it had
better.  I think that time slicing and low screen resolution are the
defining traits of the "H" in M/H.

> What if MediaFlo has to adopt M/H to make a true go of it?

And orphan all those V-Cast enabled phones?  Hardly.

> There was an awful lot of discussion in the report of network effects ...

More like speculations.

John