[opendtv] Re: Frames Per Second of 720P

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 11:31:22 -0400

John Shutt wrote:

> Mark Aitken wrote:
>>
>> $2.0B annual total ($1.1 annual local market station take) based
>> just on additional ad revenues. (not my numbers)
>
> Not even the Study's numbers.

It's on pages 103 and 104. The total M/H figure is based only on
advertizing revenues. It does assume one system, though, so that would
ignore any inroads made by the Qualcomm system.

"9.1 billion additional viewing hours * $0.24 (average value of revenue
per hour viewed) = $1.956 billion of additional advertising dollars due
to total M/H DTV."

> Where is the money going to come from for stations to build out
> this ATSC M/H infrastructure? The report quotes a "mere" $100,000
> per station. That may cover a new ATSC M/H capable exciter for the
> RF Plant, but does it include the ability to receive additional
> programming streams into the master control plant? Does it include
> additional server space? Additional automation? More channels of
> traffic software? Subscription billing? Conditional Access
> infrastructure?

The report assumes that the M/H service from broadcasters is advertizer
supported. And that broadcasters would go to third party M/H provider
for fee-based services:

"In Chapter V, we addressed the two basic business model categories for
broadcasters - (1) free-to-viewer advertising model and (2) various paid
models. The largest near term (2009-2012) revenues available to
broadcasters on the M/H DTV platform will be advertising based (any
subscription or other revenues are de minimis on the DTV M//H platform
by 2012). The rationales here are that (1) it is most likely that
primarily advertising supported programming will be offered as a
simulcast stream to M/H DTV devices by 2012; and (2) broadcasters are
more likely to partner with 3rd parties who have core competencies in
billing, digital content asset management, subscriber management systems
and other layers of the mobile ecosystem to pursue VOD, subscription or
PPV revenue models."

> And finally, were was the NAB back in 1999-2000 when we had the
> chance to switch to a DTV system capable of mobile performance
> with little or no compromise to fixed receivers, and with no
> need to negotiate additional M/H-specific program rights? Europe
> has proven that DVB-T is receivable by in-car receivers, portable
> devices, and laptops. Adding DVB-H brings in the handheld cell
> phones.

But that $2B figure is based only on cell phone and MP3 player users,
both of which require the M/H distribution method.