[opendtv] Re: Frames Per Second of 720P

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 09:41:51 -0400

At 7:45 AM -0400 7/29/08, Tom Barry wrote:
Doe anybody understand this one? I don't see it essential to be in the standard as, first, there are yet no dual M/H laptop receivers and, second, a laptop receiver is probably software driven and could easily add this option if it seemed it would sell. Finally, even a very stupid user could probably decide to change to another (M/H) channel if the full channel could not be received. I'd personally rather be in control of the process.

My guess here is that the people who wrote this report think of Laptops more like portable TV receivers. Thst is, capable of using the full 8-VSB service and most likely used in a fixed location like an office or hotel room. Looks like they are discounting the notion that a laptop could be used in the back seat of a vehicle or on a bus, assuming that the viewer would choose to use their cellphone or a small player instead.

I got the sense at NAB that the manufacturers who are pushing this are looking for the next iPod. I think they believe that they can compete in the mobile hand held market, if only there were some compelling content available to drive the market. I also suspect that this view is driven in part by the viewing behavior of people in Japan and Korea, where mobile TV is already a reality.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.