[opendtv] Re: Frames Per Second of 720P

  • From: "Martin Holmes" <Martin.Holmes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 14:15:21 +0100

I always include 1080 @ 23 pSf.  If it goes in and out machines and
(dare I say it) "tape" then Sf is legitimate as a means of
differentiating from p and i.  True 23 p is much rarer than 23 pSf.

Not that Sf (Sony format yuk yuk) was anything new when Sony did it for
HD.  576 @ 23 pSf (625) was with us in the shape of modified Digi Beta
and standard Ampex DCT VTR's capable of recording it from film to tape
many years ago.

The purpose was to release an additional hundred (or so) lines of
resolution to make a better 23 Hz telecine master from which we could
derive all flavours of deliverable (sound familiar).  We didn't call it
576 @ 23; Slo PAL (it wasn't PAL).

My best to all, MH.