[opendtv] Re: Frames Per Second of 720P

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 10:14:21 -0700

Boy, it's almost as if you have never talked to broadcasters about M/H.  I
talk to them all the time.  Effectively, most of these conversations are
bound by the ATSC NDA, and since refuting your points would cause me to
define the elephant in the room, we'll have to table talk of the business
model until the candidate standard is released.

The invisible (today) elephant in the room is a very interesting beast.

However, since broadcasters already own (or have licensed) much of the
content, have existing eyeballs, existing transmitters, and can no doubt
license content like sports that arguably can't be transmitted via M/H
without modifications to license agreements, I'd say that they are much
better positioned to provide mobile video to the masses than cell company
upstarts that have to get their video from an intermediary, and intermediary
(like MediaFlo) that has to purchase content from sports rights holders and
networks (at retail rates) that are partners with broadcast stations.

Which reminds me.  I need to get around to addressing the ignorance about
network compensation.  Just one hint on that:  Why do you suppose the CBS
Corporation is one of the biggest creditors in the Pappas TV bankruptcy?
Why, if CBS doesn't get reverse net comp from it's stations, does Pappas owe
CBS money?  A recent posting here mentioned that CBS was thinking about
getting reverse network compensation from affiliates, as if that hadn't been
fait accompli in the mid-1990s.

John Willkie