[opendtv] Re: Fox, Affiliates to Share Money From VOD

  • From: "Albert Manfredi" <bert22306@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 16:55:10 -0400

I'm not sure why affiliates don't use their multicasts to air past episodes
of popular shows. A couple of Baltimore stations, ABC 2 and WB 54, seem to
simulcast an SD version of their -1 channel on -2. The only interesting
feature offered by these simulcasts is that they give the viewer a greater
choice of aspect ratio twiddling than the -1 subchannel does. At least, with
our STBs. The -2 channels allow the receiver to zoom in on pillarboxed or
letterboxed + pillarboxed shows, where the -1 channel does not. But it seems
like a waste of bandwidth to me.

Perhaps the affiliates can compete directly with the on-demand Internet way
of gaining access to previous shows. Not as flexible, perhaps, but higher
quality and/or much much faster to "download," compared with either trying
to stream the show in real time across the Internet, or allowing consumers
to download a true SD or HD version for later viewing. And it shows up at
the big TV set, without requiring any PC-TV integration.