[opendtv] Re: Forbes: 5 Online Video Trends To Look For In 2015

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2014 23:02:38 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> As usual, Bert misses the forrest for the trees. He picked out the
> least important paragraph in what is otherwise a VERY INFORMATIVE
> article.
>
> As I have been discussing for months, the tradition "shot gun,"
> mass market ad supported TV business model is what is really being
> challenged.

As usual, Craig prefers to wax eloquent about something that everybody already
knows. That's way, way old news, Craig. The article describes how the new,
preferred TV viewing techniques are great for the new online-only productions,
right? As if for some reason, millennials prefer that content over TV network
content. That's the only point in the article that deserved any sort of
response, IMO.

<snip snip snip snip>

> In other words, the technology behind marketing automation is
> one of the major challenges in moving content consumption from
> the old linear streaming model to the consumption on demand
> model. Delivering the video streams us the easy part.

Targeting ads better, again, is old news. Making ads interactive, at least
forcing interactivity (i.e. all freezes unless the viewer does something), is a
colossal nuisance. I would be astonished if the ad agencies don't figure this
out in short order.

And fancy new ways of introducing ads in the program are THE main stumbling
block of online viewing, causing essentially ALL streaming glitches, in my
years of experience watching TV this way. Some site introduces a new technique,
and then it takes Flash usually two or three iterations of updates to get it
right and resolve the glitches. (Or it could be that the site itself is fixing
problems during that time - hard for me to tell which.)

And then some other site introduces another new scheme, and we're back to
having to weather that nuisance for many more weeks and months.

Forgive me for not getting excited about this "marketing" aspect, which Craig
finds fascinating.