[opendtv] Re: For rural West, DTV may be lost in translation

  • From: Frank Eory <frank.eory@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 10:25:06 -0700

Forcing even a small number of established translators to go dark,
presumably leaving viewers cut off from any over-the-air TV broadcast,
would be "a political cherry bomb," said In-Stat's Kaufhold. In Arizona,
he noted, about 30 percent of the population lives outside the main
metropolitan areas of Phoenix and Tucson, and many of them presumably
get their TV and radio from translators. Over time, he said, it would
make sense for all translators to go digital, but that would likely take
years and cost millions.

Hey Gerry, I bet this interview really hit home, since you are among that 30%. So do you have satellite, cable, or what? I don't imagine you are watching just the Tucson OTA stations in NTSC format from a translator, are you?