[opendtv] Re: Food for thought

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 08:37:55 -0500

The FCC left it up to individual broadcasters to choose which standard to broadcast AM Stereo, usually between Motorola C-QAM and Kahn-Hazeltine dual sideband.

The FCC left it up to individual broadcasters to choose which standard to broadcast their DTV.

I ask you, is it in a broadcaster's best interest to deliberately choose a standard that cannot be received by their viewers? Therefore, Table 3, although rejected by the FCC, still controls which formats a broadcaster uses, and in all practicality, is left with four choices: 480i29.97, 480p59.94, 720p59.94, and 1080i29.97.

Broadcast stations being set up the way they are, I don't know of a single broadcaster using 24, 30, or 60 fps even though they are in the infamous "Table 3."

The marketplace does on occasion work when given a chance. That is why the Sinclair petition of 2000 was so dangerous.

John

----- Original Message ----- From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>

Mark Schubin wrote:

The FCC rejected Table 3.

Yes, I understand. But my point was that by rejecting it, they simply
put the burden on someone else to come up with a scheme. So, either the
ATSC has to do it, or the FCC changes its mind on that point. Because,
IMO, it is unreasonable to leave the options wide open.