[opendtv] Foiling antennaweb

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 12:24:11 -0400

One of the most fun stations in this market is an independent, MHz
Networks, WNVT-DT, which transmits four or five subchannels of
international programming. There's always something interesting ot
watch, including the France 24 24-hour news channel. (Now always in
English.)

The transmitter is located WSW of us, 20 miles away, 160 KW ERP
according to the FCC. I've mentioned before that my external antennas,
aimed NE and NNE, are not very reliable for this station. With the new
receivers, in cold weather, reception is solid. But even the new
receivers don't do a good job in warmer days, for some reason. Reception
with the Accurian, when using the outside antennas, was only possible
with an omni VHF, and again, not very reliable.

Antennaweb says I can't receive that station. So yesterday, downstairs,
I connected an unused Radio Shack double bowtie antenna to the Accurian
STB, and aimed it in that general direction. The Accurian signal monitor
showed a signal struggling to come in, and an occasional image. I walked
the antenna over to the living room, on the East-facing side of the
house, and started hearing the TV audio. I sat the antenna down on a
piano bench, as far as the 75 ohm leads would reach, not quite reaching
the windows, and got solid reception. Even when walking around the
antenna. How cool. And it only took a few minutes.

So, essentially 3 feet of antenna height total, indoors, with 3rd
generation STB, when Antennaweb says that reception is not possible.
With our upstairs setup, reception is also solid, but of course the
(indoor) antenna there is maybe 12' or 13' up. Aside from really distant
stations, I think that DTV reception with indoor antennas can be
unexpectedly good.

My wife's reaction was a hilarious "No! No! No!" But it was fun while it
lasted. I'll try something more directional than the Radio Shack
antenna. Maybe I can stay out of the living room that way.