[opendtv] Re: Florida OTA TV example

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2010 08:12:10 -0400

At 9:14 PM -0400 7/5/10, Tom Barry wrote:
I'll defer to those still in Gainesville for current reports of whether
they "finally got NBC".   But when I left in February the local NBC was
still low power VHF and could not be solidly received with any indoor
antenna I tried, from only a few miles away.

Signal strength is largely irrelevant; they have a 4.9 kW transmitter on a 280 meter stick in Newberry, just west of Gainesville.

What IS relevant is that we now have an NBC affiliate on the cable system IN ADDITION to the imported NBC from Orlando. With over 93% cable penetration in this market OTA really has little influence. I would add that Gainesville has had access to NBC (via cable) for decades. And Channel 20 was originally an NBC affiliate, but changed to ABC in 1973.

To illustrate just how important cable is in Gainesville, the relatively new CBS affiliate brands itself as Gainesville 4, even though they are on channel 53. They did this when Channel 4 in Jacksonville (WJXT) decided to drop its CBS affiliation, and CBS agreed to let Channel 53 become a CBS affiliate. As CBS is on Channel 4 on local cable systems, they decided to brand the station as such. They also operate the NBC station under a joint marketing agreement from the same facilities.