[opendtv] Re: First test of new LG 5th gen receiver

  • From: Mark Schubin <tvmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 04 May 2005 12:21:26 -0400

>I'm sure Mark Schubin would have a meaningful response
>to this.

I don't know how meaningful this is, but, during the test of the LG 5th
generation receiver here, we got only six stations absolutely
plug-&-play and a seventh with some antenna position and orientation
fiddling.  But, at the time, that's all we could see on a spectrum analyzer.

> What bothers me is that the dealer in Scarsdale,
>or so it says in his port, could receive 21 channels on
>the real genuwyne LG 5th gen receiver with the special
>sauce. I would have expected that you should manage
>something similar, no? That's why Mark might be a more
>exact comparison, in Manhattan, with the LG receiver.

The NY DTT transmission situation (as opposed to the reception
situation) remains in flux.  Many stations go on and off the air
periodically or broadcast only at certain hours.  So a fixed receiver
with a fixed antenna may get different stations on different days.
During the 5th-generation test here, I was very surprised that we
weren't getting WABC-DT, which had been one of the easiest for me to
receive.  A spectrum analyzer confirmed they were off the air at the time.

I've never seen 21 DTT stations here even on a spectrum analyzer.

That's transmission.  For reception, cranes, trucks, and other temporary
obstructions can change multipath conditions.

>I have the sneaky suspicion these third party vendors
>are trying to get by with single conversion tuners.

I can sort-of confirm Bob's statement about LG working with them.  I was
contacted by Zenith to give them details about the bad reception here so
they could work with the vendor on fixing the problem(s).

TTFN,
Mark