[opendtv] Re: First test of new LG 5th gen receiver

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 11:53:23 -0400

Bob Miller wrote:

> Well I put this new LG 5th gen based prototype to the
> test in my apartment today. They have been working with
> LG to get it to work like the LG prototype from last
> summer. I received it one hour after a phone call
> telling me it was coming. They seem to be real up on
> this one.
>
> Received seven physical channels with a dual bow tie
> aimed at the Empire State Building 40 some blocks away.

> Should I receive any other channels?

I'm sure Mark Schubin would have a meaningful response
to this. What bothers me is that the dealer in Scarsdale,
or so it says in his port, could receive 21 channels on
the real genuwyne LG 5th gen receiver with the special
sauce. I would have expected that you should manage
something similar, no? That's why Mark might be a more
exact comparison, in Manhattan, with the LG receiver.

I have the sneaky suspicion these third party vendors
are trying to get by with single conversion tuners.