[opendtv] 'First talking Freeview box' launches in UK

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2010 15:09:19 -0500

The fact that the box has synthesized voice is no huge deal, but the fact that
this Freeview organization is marketing it IS a big deal.

That's the weird part. Here in the US, as far as I can tell, the NAB is the
closest thing we have to Freeview. So how come they aren't interested in
pushing this cohesive image of OTA broadcasting cum Internet catch-up, as
Freeview does in the UK? It's not like all the pieces aren't already in place.

Bert

------------------------------------
http://www.dtg.org.uk/news/news.php?class=countries&subclass=0&id=3891

'First talking Freeview box' launches in UK

Smart Talk, a talking Freeview digital box from Goodmans, is now on sale in the
UK. The box provides talking TV menus, talking seven day programme guide and
reminders for those who struggle to use existing programme guides.

Developed in partnership with RNIB, additional features include increased
on-screen text size and one touch Audio Description and subtitles.

John Edwards, Director of Communications at Harvard International, who
developed Smart Talk under the Goodmans brand, said: "We are a nation of TV
lovers and no-one should be excluded from digital TV and all the extra benefits
and choices it offers. Smart Talk will help millions of people enjoy Freeview
to the max."

Smart Talk is available from selected retailers including John Lewis and Currys
Megastores.

DTG Staff 07.10.2010