[opendtv] Re: First sign of the March 1 mandate

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2007 20:02:24 -0400

Mark Schubin wrote:

> I note in this week's Best Buy ad supplement a Dynex 20-inch
> CRT SDTV for $149.99.
>
> Circuit City, meanwhile, has a 13-inch analog Symphonic for $49.99.

Today Target is selling 20" analog-only TrueTech TV, their cheapest one,
for $109.99. Assuming these no-name TVs to have roughly the same CRT and
video/audio electronics costs, that puts the ATSC built-in receiver cost
to consumers at about $40, which is what we have seen in other cases
where the comparison was possible.

Magnavox and Memorex analog 20" CRT TVs sold at Target, their next
cheapest ones in the lineup, go for $130 and $120, respectively.

I suppose one could argue that the image quality of the Dynex receiving
digital stations is probably at least the equal of the Magnavox or
Memorex analog TVs, in general, and probably considerably better. Just
the complete absence of ghost, and usually better color, should make the
image quite an improvement over analog. At least, that is our experience
with our upstairs 20" CRT set-cum-Digital Stream STB. Which makes the
built-in ATSC receiver a pretty good bargain.