[opendtv] Re: First look at ATSC HD Broadcast

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2005 08:22:50 -0400

At 1:53 PM -0400 6/10/05, John Shutt wrote:
>  But again, I ask could hardware in 2000 be designed to allow
>being upgraded to AVC in 2005?  Look again at that Nokia STB you had in your
>hands in 1999 that didn't even have the ability to support 8K COFDM, and
>tell me it could have been designed to accept a software upgrade to run
>AVC/WM9/H.264?  Maybe it could have, but it would cost almost the same as a
>PC.

John, you need to overlay two curves (sets of data).

First consider video processing requirements. They are considerable,
and general purpose computational devices have yet to evolve past the
point where HD can be supported routinely. But the video requirements
curve does not keep growing once you reach the desired level of
performance ( i.e. the ability to support HD at up to 2 Mpixels)

Now look at the evolutionary curve for computing devices. It is now
crossing the point on the video curve where we need to be. But it
keeps growing, doubling every 18 months to two years.  In a few
years, video will have been gobbled up as so many other tasks have
been devoured before.

I am reminded of the resistance of typesetters to desktop publishing
tools in the '80s. There is so much more to electronic page
composition that galleys of type.