[opendtv] Re: First look at ATSC HD Broadcast

  • From: "Dale Kelly" <dalekelly@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 22:28:53 -0700

John wrote:
> IIRC, Sinclair made some mention of this in a subsequent
>document to the FCC regarding receiver performance standards.
>It wasn't specifically in regard > to the MSTV/NAB testing,
>but a general note applicable to all ATSC receivers.

Yes, we and Sinclair both filed comments asking that the FCC
require that certain levels of selectivity, amongst other specs,
be included in consumer ATSC receivers. However, those
comments are not germane to this discussion.

The issue, in that instance, wasn't whether or not selectivity would
be used, since no one would construct such a receiver without it.
We simply requested that a minimum level of selectivity be
specified, knowing how important that issue is to reliable 8VSB
DTV reception

 > So, if they were to apply high-quality band-pass filtering to the
>COFDM receiver, they should have also to the ATSC receiver.

The Zenith ATSC receiver did include selectivity though I don't
know it's level. On the other hand, we do KNOW that the
COFDM receiver had none.
However, you are correct that added "high-quality" filtering
will likely improve almost any consumer grade receiver's
performance since economics do constrain what manufacturers
are willing to mass produce. The fact is, however, that the filter
used for the follow up COFDM test was, per my recollection,
about 40 MHZ wide, which is more likely to be classified as
moderate to good quality.

I know that this is subjecture on my part but do you believe that
Zenith would provided a test receiver for something so
important to it's future IP income (the reason LG purchased Zenith),
 that had any less than high-quality selectivity performance?