[opendtv] Re: First look at ATSC HD Broadcast

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 23:00:52 -0400

At 10:11 AM -0400 6/13/05, John Golitsis wrote:
>This all started with the concept of downloadable CODECs for set-top boxes.
>I was pointing out that even if you could update the CODEC, you may still
>not have the necessary physical connections.
>
>In the video realm, HDMI could become a requirement for certain content, so
>a year 2000 receiver with updatable CODEC could still become a paperweight.
>A more expensive paperweight.
>
>-

This is completely decoupled from what we were talking about, but you
raise an interesting issue.

The original comments were centered around the FACT that ANY PC has
more than adequate horsepower to decode most any audio codec one
could possible create. MIPs are not an issue anymore - as will be the
case for video in a few years.

But then you go and turn this into a political discussion, raising
the possibility that any deployed product can be rendered useless by
the simple act of adding a new requirement that's  a show stopper.
Nice try.

Nobody was talking about 1394 with DTCP or DVI with HDCP when the
ATSC standard was set. The FCC did not get around to the Broadcast
Flag order until a few years ago - at least for now that requirement
is in limbo.

You need to stay on subject John.

The subject is building DTV hardware that has the ability to be
upgraded after it is sold, with a reasonable life expectancy (5-7
years would be reasonable). This may still be a challenge today, but
it will be a trivial exercise in five years.