[opendtv] Re: First look at ATSC HD Broadcast

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 08:56:03 -0400

At 11:52 AM -0400 6/12/05, Bob Miller wrote:
>It takes both a good modulation and a codec that allows enough content.
>
>USDTV has neither. But I disagree with Craig, 8-VSB's problems are
>enough to kill this venture.

This is quite true for markets with RF challenged environments. It is
obvious that USDTV chose "easy" markets to launch their service. And
it is likely that even in these markets they have had problems
establishing service.

As I keep saying, in order to compete it is essential to be able to
establish reliable service, but this comes AFTER the decision to
switch from cable or DBS, or upgrade from OTA only.

>Though a decent receiver would no save USDTV. They need MPEG4 AVC also IMO.

Clearly AVC means more channels in the available spectrum, which
would make a difference. But sooner or later you would wind up with
something equal to cable at nearly the same monthly subscription fee.

The success of Freeview and the German system is based on the FACT
that there IS NO MONTHLY FEE.

Sorry Bob, but another walled garden is not what people are looking
for. What we want is for advertiser supported TV to be "free"...

AGAIN.