[opendtv] First Look: Hulu video service

  • From: Monty Solomon <monty@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: undisclosed-recipient:;
  • Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2007 22:44:26 -0400

November 02, 2007

First Look: Hulu video service
NBC Universal-News Corp. service looks to take on iTunes-will it succeed?
By Dan Moren

NBC Universal and News Corp. fired what both companies hope is the
first shot across the bow of digital content giants like Apple's
iTunes Store and Google's YouTube with the launch of a private beta
version of Hulu, their long-gestating Web-based video platform.
Positioned as a competitor to both online media stores and free
video-sharing sites, Hulu is largely an attempt by content providers
to exert more control over their own product, cutting out middlemen
such as Apple.

But that's the big-picture view-what does it mean for people like you
and me who just want to watch videos? While Hulu is just beginning to
send out invites to its beta period, I got to take the service for a
test drive this week to see how it works for a-shall we say-avid
television watcher.

http://www.macworld.com/2007/11/firstlooks/hulu/index.php