[opendtv] Re: Finland's DTV Transition Lesson

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 17:31:37 -0500

John Shutt wrote:

> One would have to wonder what her analog reception is like with
> that same antenna setup.

I don't know, but I certainly do know what analog reception is in my own
setup. It works, of course, but is not acceptable for regular use.
Ghost, distortion, grain. An outdoor antenna would be required for
acceptable analog reception downstairs.

> Clearly, although she had 'viewable' NTSC with set top rabbit ears,
> she got little to no ATSC.

He didn't try ATSC with the rabbit ears. But why bother? Isn't an
antenna hiding out of view, in the fireplace in this case, better than
having rabbit ears anyway? Matter of fact, when he first set up the
CECB, he got nothing. Why? Because he had forgotten to connect the
antenna. Whew.

I'd love to see statistics that describe this sort of experience. We
hear only about those who experience failures. We don't hear about those
who get better service or an easier setup after switching to digital.
(Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying it's wrong to highlight the
failures, or things would never improve.)