[opendtv] Re: Finally anamorphically compressed 480i

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 10:12:44 -0500

Do you really want me to buy that?  Once in an MPEG-2 stream, the content is
frame based.

And I'm talking about practical day-to-day broadcast operations using real world ATSC encoders, not theoretical encoding tools in a specification, or how anyone believes it "should" be done. I'm dealing in real world hardware.

In the same way that ATSC theoretically allows separate audio voiceovers to be mixed into the main audio channel, or for receivers to act upon a Directed Channel Change, in the real world, with real equipment, it cannot be done.

All of the MPEG-2 encoded material we deal with, be it DVB-S transport streams from PBS, video clips ingested into an Omneon video server from an SD-SDI video source, or our ATSC program stream created by Tandberg encoders, is frame based, and most of it uses a 15 frame GOP. No selective field encoding, and the only exception to the GOP sequence is scene cut detection that will force an I frame early.

John

----- Original Message ----- From: "Craig Birkmaier" <craig@xxxxxxxxx>