[opendtv] Re: FierceWireless: How Charlie Ergen turned a satellite TV provider into a spectrum powerhouse, and what he might do next

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 03:00:54 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

>> Wrong. Sling is nothing like what the NPRM addresses. Sling does
>> not even carry the local broadcast stations, must carry or
>> otherwise.
>
> We've been over this several times. You DO NOT KNOW what Dish is
> planning with respect to the carriage of the broadcast networks

Doesn't matter, as of now. Disney agreed to allow carriage of ESPN, and a few
other content owners agreed as well. So it does not matter whether possibly in
the future, Sling will morph into something else. As of now, it is an OTT site,
and content owners are okay with that. That's all that matters, Craig. The FCC
won't prevent owners from agreeing to have their stuff on the Internet, either
on their own or through an aggregation site like Hulu.

> Exactly. It is just an extension of the rules they created to
> give the DBS systems access to the content being sold to the
> cable/telco MVPDs.

NO, Craig. Not even close. In this case, we DO NOT have a would-be distribution
network begging for content from owners, needing an FCC order to say they
should be allowed. In this case, we have the owners who already agreed. Just as
similar owners agreed to set up Hulu, and agreed to let Amazon and Netflix
carry some of their stuff. None of this needed to involve an FCC order, and
none of these are MVPDs.

>> Craig, you love to argue in circles. Are there regs to
>> force carriage of broadcast networks on MVPDs? Yes.
>
> NO.

Yes, I already informed you of this. They are called "must carry." Broadcasters
who want their stuff on MVPDs have that rule to force their signal on the MVPD
net, or they can use retrans consent. So, will Sling TV be carrying the must
carry signals, Craig? Any inkling that this is even in the cards? They do not
need to emulate MVPDs, and there is no indication as of now that they will.
Except in your vivid imagination.

http://www.multichannel.com/news/technology/dish-unveils-sling-tv/386592

> Dish Unveils Sling TV
>
> At least initially, the service will be without broadcast networks

And that's ALL that matters, Craig, as I already explained to you. No must
carry or otherwise. End of story.

>> That's up to ABC. If they want to distribute live streams online,
>> the FCC won't forbid this, Craig.
>
> How do you know this?
>
> They won't let the DBS MVPDs do this.

If ABC decides to put their live streams online, they do not need to involve
any MVPDs. No one will prevent them, just as no one prevents them from putting
their stuff on their own web site, for VOD, now. The FCC has no rules against
anyone doing their business online, Craig.