[opendtv] Re: Fewer than 2 Million have OTA DTV in US

  • From: "Dale Kelly" <dalekelly@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 13:47:41 -0800

Craig wrote:

> Now here's the question Bert. Dale seems to think you have a pretty
> good handle on the technology, so let's see you apply it to a real
> world problem. Since you believe that the distance between the main
> sticks in the Santa Barbara market is too great to build a viable
> COFDM SFN, why don't you design it so that it will work.

IMO, Bert does indeed have a grasp of signal and receiver dynamics which
impact DTV reception and does also generally understand issues related to
SFNs. However, he nor you have ever dealt with the practical and financial
aspects of designing an RF system that is FCC compliant and which can
overcome such difficult coverage problems. However, if your maps had the
necessary information, he could likely give it a good start.

Your maps lack:
1. Transmitter site locations and FCC antenna pattern and field intensities.
2. Longley-Rice predicted coverage maps, which are very important for
determining underserved/unserved DTV areas and how they might best be
covered.

You also espouse the position that all broadcaster should multiplex from the
same sites and use the example of how that is commonly done in Europe. In
every case that I'm aware of in Europe, such sites were developed by the
state operated networks and were made available (regulatory) to others as
they came along. The U.S. broadcast system's development did not occur in
such a manner and in fact, cooperation between broadcaster was not
encouraged; therefore this is a rather poor analogy on your part - even
though it makes good sense from an operational perspective.

Dale