[opendtv] Re: Fewer than 2 Million have OTA DTV in US

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2006 10:24:26 -0800

A few points.

Before local into local, the number of DBS households was 8 million, not 10.
That's a 20% difference.  I have a good friend in that business (installs).
In the week after local to local, in San Diego County, his number of
installs a week went from about 100 to 175-200.  He handled all installs for
DirecTV in the county at that time.

You are playing that market violin again, and it's still off-tune.  Localism
has nothing to do with market topology.  Localism is tied to "city of
license" as any fool knows.  Stations HAVE to serve their city of license;
they may serve other areas.  If there is more than one city listed in a
station id, we're talking here about the first one listed-- the city of
license.

Stations are evaluated at license renewal time on how well they serve their
city of license; not their market, their DMA or ADI.  Station proposals are
evaluated by the FCC on whether their proposed signal covers their city of
license, not their county, state, ADI or DMA.  If they don't serve all (or
at least 99% of their city of license with a city-grade signal, and another
proposal does, they lose.  Only after all this requirement is met, are
station proposals evaluated on how many new, unserved homes are covered
(white areas.)

So, stations unilaterally decide when retrans agreements expire?  I always
thought it took a "meeting of the minds" before there was the possibility of
an agreement.  I think you might want to inform courts that you know more
about contracts than they do.

"If people could get the localized information they need"?  You mean from
newspapers that are laying off thousands of reporters at this time because
of declining local advertising and classified advertising revenues?

Sounds like a big if.

Markets are not intended -- and I mean any type of market -- to restrict the
flow of information.  That's Marxist dogma.  They are intended and generally
distribute information.

By the way, TV aside from news and public affairs, is not distributing
information, but entertainment.  The plot of an episode of ER, while
entertaining, contains data but no information.

Merry Christmas.

John Willkie