[opendtv] Re: Fewer than 2 Million have OTA DTV in US

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2006 08:58:23 -0500

Oops, typo.

That should have read (about) 10 years ago that I canceled D*. At first they had a plan designed for people also keeping basic cable. It economically offered things like (IIRC) CNBC, CNN/Fn, and ZDTV in an inexpensive package. They they moved a couple of these out of that package so I'd need the Total Choice package in order to get all of them. It was somewhat confusing at the time since their web page was still advertising all of those channels as being in my package and it took a number of tech support phone calls to find why I was suddenly not getting some channels. So I canceled.

But I believe all that does come under the definition and curse of re-tiering, which I consider a sort of delayed bait & switch.

- Tom

John Willkie wrote:
So you cancelled DirecTV more than 7 years before they started service?
Makes one wonder what the tiers were like in 1986.

I'm not saying bad (yet truthful) things about cable companies these days,
but I do suggest that people investigate cable companies before they decide
to move.

Find my resume and video filters at www.trbarry.com