[opendtv] Re: Fewer than 2 Million have OTA DTV in US

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 22:06:29 -0500

The "re-tiering" is what caused me to cancel DirectTV about 20 years ago and to cancel my Comcast PVR and digital subscription about one year ago.

But my most recent bitch is the phone call I received a couple weeks ago from the Comcast "Compliance (Conformance?) Dept.". I was informed I had downloaded too many bytes for the month and had risen onto some watch list. If I was noticed again I would be punished and suspended for one year. But they refused to tell me how much was actually allowed and I had used only a small fraction of their advertised bandwidth, assuming 24/7 usage. The phone call reminded me of the humorous Lily Tomlin "Ma Bell" skit of some decades ago where she threatened they would "send a huge burly repairman to rip it out of the wall". The cable companies are the new Ma Bell. Needless to say I canceled Comcast. I probably would have done so even if I hadn't been moving anyway. ;-)

- Tom

John Willkie wrote:
If you've never subscribed to cable in your life, how do you know what
people complain to cable systems about?

Here's what people complain to cable about: when the cable goes out, or a
"big game" or event is interrupted, or when the channels are re-tiered and
favorite content is moved to a different (more expensive) tier, or when they
otherwise lose a source of programming they had become accustomed to.  Of
course, if they have a cable/telephone bundle, and assuming no phone back-up
systems, they don't complain to the cable company when their cable and phone
goes out.  When it comes back on, they are usually happy.

They don't complain much about missing programming they've never seen.

Find my resume and video filters at www.trbarry.com