[opendtv] Re: Fewer than 2 Million have OTA DTV in US

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 12:17:13 -0800

I believe I answered this in advance.  Local-into-local in 1999 "unleashed"
the DBS business; access to local channels provides much of the draw for
cable.

We will, apparently, get a couple of chances in the near future to see what
happens to a cable system or systems without local channels.  If I've read
news reports accurately, on January 6, 2007, MediaCom loses access to
Sinclair stations in multiple markets.

MediaCom has replaced local channels in some markets with not-so-local
stations with the same networks.  Maybe those 'distant' stations will change
to include coverage of the distant markets; most likely they won't.

So, MediaCom cable subscribers who can't get the signals over the air or
don't want to try, will have the option of satellite local-into-local or
distant stations.  It will be interesting to watch.

Also, Tom, you've minimized the "economy of scale" argument.  Local stations
that affiliate with networks have the same benefit of that economy of scale.
Imagine a station in Tulsa trying to produce something as well-produced and
popular as "Desparate Housewives."

The economy of scale argument for the networks works TWO ways; national
exposure for their advertisers, and the tie-ins with their owned and
operated stations.

John Willkie