[opendtv] Re: Femtocells pose threat to voice-over-Wi-Fi, cellular basestation deployment

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 08:55:12 -0400

So you're saying that the 3G data capacity is separate from the voice data capacity? It seems to me that VoIP has much more overhead than CDMA or GMS voice, reducing total potential load capacity.

But if there are two separate services and never the twain shall meet, then I guess it makes sense to tap into unused 3G capacity for additional call traffic in a particular cell.

I had always thought that the bits were interchangeable.

John

----- Original Message ----- From: "Craig Birkmaier" <craig@xxxxxxxxx>