[opendtv] Re: Family Research Council & Must Carry

  • From: Paul Lin <calwatch@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 22:53:05 -0800

On 11/3/05, dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx <dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> One of the articles referenced in Mark's weekly update particularly caugh=
> my attention (Thanks, Mark, for putting out the compiled updates).  If I =
am
> reading it right, in the Family Research Council's support, the Must Carr=
> is good for society to help bring divergent programming to cable.  I
> understand the argument to try and bring moral programming to cable, but
> I'm not sure Must Carry is the way to do it, based on Craig's arguments o=
> how Must Carry is effecting cable programming.
>
> However, there is one point made that I would be interested in hearing
> opinion on:  assuming Must Carry continues, should it also include
> independent OTA programming?  Why should the major networks get Must Carr=
> and independents be left behind?  I know for a fact that the local Latino
> stations provide excellent relevant local programming to that demographic=
,
> just as one example.  But here in Las Vegas, there are about a dozen LPTV
> stations that really have a very limited audience.  So how does one decid=
> who gets Must Carry and who doesn't?  To me, this is another argument
> against Must Carry.

However, in most metros, the religious stations are full power and
split their signal up the most ways possible. Here in Los Angeles, the
local Trinity Broadcasting station has four religious streams going on
at any one time, you have All Gene Scott All The Time on Pat Boone's
station, and there are at least two religious streams on the local PAX
affiliate. So must carry would bring at least six new religious
stations to basic cable.

- PL