[opendtv] FW: Why I'm holding off on Windows 10 | InfoWorld

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2015 03:22:33 +0000

Craig Birkmaier posted (to me):

Just one persons views on Windows 10 - actually several people's...

http://www.infoworld.com/article/3017197/microsoft-windows/why-im-holding-off-on-windows-10.html?token=%23tk.IFWNLE_nlt_infoworld_daily_2015-12-21&idg_eid=593b93817ad0a9726f889c7044a6e9d3&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=InfoWorld%20Daily:%20Morning%20Edition%202015-12-21&utm_term=infoworld_daily#tk.IFW_nlt_infoworld_daily_2015-12-21

Kind of light on content.

I don't see any reason to hold off, really, unless you really like Win7 or Win8
games (or just don't want to hassle with an OS upgrade). Win10 games are all
available at the app store, and they duplicate the Win7 games, but there are
many more of them, and they are continuously being updated. Still, some gamers
complain bitterly. Some games I guess aren't as challenging. Some aren't free.
Some aren't as challenging in the free tiers, wanting people to pay for the
higher difficulty tiers.

There are some problems, but they are being worked out. One problem, it lasted
a couple of months at least, was the DVD player. People who had Windows Media
Center previously were provided with a Win10 DVD Player. But guess what. It
didn't work. At long last, they fixed the player. After telling us it would be
available on a given date, and pulling it back at the last second. But finally,
the update did show up, and the DVD player worked.

But this is Windows. So, no problem at all installing the free "VLC Player,"
which I did, and all works just fine. I think that's a product of the geeks at
Georgia Tech. Very nice. Music files sound really great.

The new Edge browser has some inexplicable shortfalls in features. It's also
improving slowly. But for example, you can't even copy a web page as an htm
file. However, (a) IE11 is still in there, accessible while you have Edge open,
using the "open with Internet Explorer" button." And (2) you can "print to
pdf." This surprised me. Now you do not need to install Acrobat Standard, or
Acrobat Pro, to allow this. It's done natively by Win10. So the web page you
want to copy appears as a pdf file shows up in your Download or Documents
folder (can't remember which). In the forum, some claim that the more basic
copy feature will be added in time. Seems it should have been there from the
start.

Adobe Flash Player is now built into Edge. This was one of the first things I
tried. Had to make sure I could continue to watch TV. It worked right away, no
issues. So now, Flash updates come along with all the other Windows Updates.
Cool.

Some people, as I'm sure always happens, have problems installing Win10. If
this occurs, the installation process automatically reverts back to what they
had previously. This happens if there's some device, say a video card, that's
incompatible. Often happens to those who try to update an older machine, like a
Vista machine. Probably not worth the effort, although the die-hards make this
work too.

Anyway, the two PCs I updated went smoothly enough. The only problems I had was
with clearing out all the updates for Win7 first. There was one problem video
driver update, for Win7, that wouldn't install on one machine, so it wouldn't
let me upgrade to Win10. Solution was easy enough. Only had to "hide" the
update, same as you could do in Win7 for any update that didn't install. Then
all went smoothly. All the device drivers were going to be reinstalled for
Win10 anyway, so I wonder why this was stopping progress.

Had a similar problem with other PC, also while still in Win7's Windows Update,
before the update to Win10 would begin.

But then, after those small hurdles, everything progressed on schedule. No
hiccups. I like Win10, in spite of some inexplicable changes they felt they
needed to make to one thing or another. And it's fun watching as it improves.