[opendtv] FW: Re: 30 ft requirement

  • From: "Cliff Benham" <cliff.benham@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 10:29:31 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Cliff Benham=20
Sent: Monday, April 26, 2004 2:01 PM
To: 'Manfredi, Albert E'
Subject: RE: [opendtv] Re: 30 ft requirement

-----Original Message-----
From: Manfredi, Albert E [mailto:albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, April 26, 2004 1:20 PM
To: Cliff Benham

>Cliff,

>What on earth are you talking about?

The transition to digital. Craig asked why are we bothering with  40 =
year old [outdoor antenna]technology?

>First of all, this wasn't a discussion of DTT vs analog OTA TV at all. =
It was a discussion about US OTA TV vs Euro OTA TV.

Right, but Frank said which modulation doesn't matter, and the =
uniformity of field strength was much better in europe than over here. =
That might be important when your'e talking about indoor vs. outdoor =
antennas, yes?

>Secondly, what I said about indoor reception is plain and simple fact. =
It works sometimes, not always.

Gee, it seems like the goal of the 8VSB vs. COFDM demo was to show that =
we no longer need outdoor antennas, that little silver sensors taped to =
window sills would work perfectly everywhere, everytime. After all, the =
COFDM guy picked his antenna up and walked across the room with it and =
never lost the picture. How else would you interpret that act in a =
demonstration?

>Third, nothing about the CBS vs Echostar debacle changes anything about =
the laws of physics.

Of course not, I was just pointing out that when the programs go away, =
the phones ring off the hook until they come back.

>Fourth, no way are you going to be able to deploy the sort of =
infrastructure you'd need to guarantee indoor reception by >everyone in =
a major urban market *economically*.

Well, what the hell are we doing then? Killing off over the air TV in a =
very round about way? =20

>I'm only astounded that you think any of this is "wrong." Did you read =
what I wote? Or are you objecting to some other                          =
                                                 =20
>discussion?

>Bert

I'm objecting to what you and Craig have written about the digital =
transition. You both have idealized it into
a nice, neat little garden that just doesn't exist. What is really out =
there is a huge jungle which will require
lots of work to tame. So far, not much is being done in preparation for =
the analog shut off.

If it happened today, congress, the FCC, and the broadcasters would =
experiecne a very rude awakening at the hands of the American public.
=20