[opendtv] Re: FW: Intel Will Lead Us to à la Carte Pay TV

  • From: Kon Wilms <konfoo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2013 18:36:24 -0800

On Sun, Mar 3, 2013 at 5:58 PM, Manfredi, Albert E <
albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Kon Wilms wrote:
>
> > This is factually incorrect. Adobe HDS never took off,
>
> Maybe so, but now you left the impression that Flash has no dynamic smooth
> streaming protocol. It does, though. It's called Real Time Messaging
> Protocol (RTMP). Which can be transmitted over secure connections, can be
> encrypted, and it works from standard web servers.

Your comment is incorrect on so many levels that I don't know where to
start.

Smooth streaming is Microsoft's HTTP-based adaptive bitrate delivery
mechanism.

Perhaps you are referring to adaptive streaming.

HDS and RTMP are both delivery protocols which support adaptive streaming.
HDS' implementation of adaptive bitrate switching is arguably more mature
than RTMP. Adobe calls it Dynamic Streaming.

RTMP as a delivery mechanism for adaptive streaming is a non-starter.
Stream switching just works better from a player point of view when the
buffer chunks can be acquired and switched with relative ease (the server
takes care of time and byte-aligning the payloads). RTMP has none of this.

RTMP does not work 'from standard web servers'. Nor can it be cached using
HTTP service infrastructure like reverse proxies. Load balancing is also
problematic.

RTMP is these days squarely in the 'legacy' camp as far as large-scale live
and on-demand OTT protocols go, if your goal is to be able to easily scale
your service.

Cheers
Kon