[opendtv] Re: FW: Intel Will Lead Us to à la Carte Pay TV

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2013 01:45:24 +0000

John Shutt wrote:

> I would also bet a metric ton of money that there would be a
> huge demand for free cars, too.
>
> Question is, who's going to pay for it, and how?

Some of the international content I watch is ad-supported. Some, like that ZDF
show today, is ad-free.

The content owners who don't want to use only ads to pay for their content can
always come to agreements with individual ISPs or with independent OTT sites,
to charge for some of this TV content.

> US TV shows are already hugely popular in Europe, Asia, and
> Oceania, and is a source of revenue in the form of rights fees
> from the local providers to the content owners.

Sure. I know. All I'm saying is, new distribution models and agreements are
possible now. There's no reason to believe that the old solutions are the only
viable ones. Even if the current agreements are retained.

> Can you imagine the bandwidth requirements in every neighborhood
> so that every TV in every household can have their own unicast
> stream?

I know, but this problem is being solved as we speak. With a combination of
solutions, including a constant increase in core network speeds (Ethernet at
1Tb/s slated for 2015) and local mirrored servers for the most popular content.
And some of the streams, the live ones, each ISP can offer only as multicast,
which means they only travel to those parts of the ISP networks that have group
members joined.

Cable systems offer maybe 150 channels of simultaneous broadcast. But Internet
can provide much, much greater choice, in large part because the "channels" are
NOT transmitted over the net unless requested. And nothing ever gets broadcast
to the entire Internet. Multicast yes, but only along branches where it has
been requested. So this is not comparable to what the MVPDs do today.