[opendtv] FCC's public safety proposal gets mixed response

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 15:52:19 -0600

So, no one was interested in building out the public safety net using the D
block of the 700 MHz spectrum. Guess what? We'll make them interested. We'll
yank all of the 700 MHz spectrum for this public safety net. That'll show 'em.

This makes almost as much sense as the article Craig posted (rehash of
half-truths we've seen many times now), where yanking away the broadcasters
spectrum will fix the health care crisis, the deficit, our educational system,
jobs, not to mention world peace.

These people have no shame. Hey, but if I jut my jaw and mention "public
safety," who can possibly object? My motives can only be honorable.

Bert

---------------------------------
http://www.rethink-wireless.com/article.asp?article_id=2710

FCC's public safety proposal gets mixed response
By CAROLINE GABRIEL

Published: 1 March, 2010

The US has been trying for years to create a national, interoperable network
for public safety but has come up against numerous hurdles, not least when the
D Block of the 700MHz band, earmarked for a public/private safety initiative,
failed to reach its reserve price at auction in 2008. Now FCC chief Julius
Genachowski has announced new plans to reignite the plan, putting up to $16bn
and more spectrum behind the proposals.

Despite this, some public safety groups are disappointed that the plan does not
go further, while the wireless carrier community remains undecided. The FCC
aims to reauction the D Block, and will call on Congress to allocate $12bn to
$16bn in funding over 10 years to help build the network. It also wants safety
agencies to have access to the whole 700MHz band, not just the D Block. Verizon
Wireless will soon start building its LTE network in the band, and AT&T has
plans to do the same from 2011. Another major existing 700MHz user is Qualcomm,
for its MediaFLO mobile TV system.

The public safety lobbies have always argued that the D Block should be
allocated directly to their agencies, without the need for private investment
or huge fees. Announcing the deal, Homeland Security Bureau Chief Jamie Barnett
conceded that there would be "various levels of disappointment" with the latest
proposals, but seemed to take the view they were the best solution available.
"With the D Block and no funding, there's no national network. But with funding
and not the D Block, there is," Barnett said, as quoted in Urgent
Communications. "The most crucial to me is to make sure we have the national
network, so we're recommending the funding."

But the Association of Public Safety Communications Officials (APCO) commented
in a statement: "While commercial carriers might need the spectrum for
applications like Twitter and Facebook, first responders need the spectrum to
protect the public and save lives. Our nation's first responders call on
Congress to immediately introduce legislation to allocate the D Block to public
safety."

The major 700MHz carriers have not yet responded, though in the past, Verizon
and AT&T have argued for the D Block to allocated to safety agencies directly
on a regional basis, working with private operators where appropriate, and
using LTE as the technology.

Genachowski himself, in a speech at the FCC, said: "The private sector simply
is not going to build a nationwide, state-of-the-art, interoperable broadband
network for public safety on its own dime." He wants safety groups to have
access to the whole 700MHz band through roaming and priority access
arrangements, which could give it up to 80MHz of spectrum. This approach, added
to the D Block, could lead to the creation of a national LTE network, some
capacity dedicated to safety and some taken as required from commercial systems
- which would necessitate the use of a single technology throughout. This could
be a boost for Alcatel-Lucent and Ericsson - since these two vendors are
supplying 700MHz LTE equipment for both major cellcos, they would be the
logical choice to provide additional kit for public safety.

T-Mobile USA, which does not own 700MHz spectrum, has argued that the D Block
should be auctioned solely for commercial use, and the proceeds used to build a
network for public safety.