[opendtv] FCC response to GAO report on DTV transition

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 20:19:28 -0500

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-278883A1.pdf

FCC
RESPONSE to GAO's Report on the DIGITAL TELEVISION TRANSITION
December 11, 2007

Introduction

progress of the Digital Television (DTV) transition, the Government
Accountability Office (GAO) conducted an investigation into progress
made (1) by federal entities and others in facilitating the transition,
(2) in educating consumers on the transition, and (3) in implementing
the converter box subsidy program. GAO submitted to the FCC a draft
report on this investigation, finding, among other things, that no
comprehensive plan exists for the DTV transition and that the FCC, in
conjunction with public and private stakeholders, should develop and
communicate such a plan. As we explained to the GAO, the FCC has been
planning for the DTV transition for more than 20 years. Indeed, as we
further explained, many of the DTV deadlines and milestones that
Congress established were built around the FCC's own timeline for
implementing multiple aspects of the transition. The following pages
detail the FCC's considerable and comprehensive plans, goals and
achievements on technical, policy, consumer outreach and other critical
elements of the DTV transition. Throughout the attached pages we have
highlighted text that we submitted to GAO that responds to corrects or
clarifies statements GAO included in its original draft report.

The full FCC response is at

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-278883A2.pdf

Commissioner Adelstein's comment is, as always, interesting and even
entertaining. In this case, that would be "I told you so," to the FCC.

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-278848A1.pdf

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
December 11, 2007
COMMISSIONER JONATHAN S. ADELSTEIN RESPONDS
TO GAO REPORT ON DTV TRANSITION

Washington, DC - In response to the GAO report on the DTV transition,
Commissioner Adelstein released the following statement:

"This GAO Report confirms what I've been saying for well over a year.
The FCC does not have a strategic plan for the DTV transition. There is
not even a plan to come up with a plan. Only the FCC appears to be in a
state of denial over what the GAO is telling us. Rather than making
excuses, we need to come up with solutions. We need to establish an
interagency task force now, and we need to reinstate our internal FCC
working group immediately."

Commissioner Copps compares what planning the FCC SHOULD be doing to
what was done for Y2K.

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-278869A1.pdf

Seems to me an unfortunate example. From what I was able to determine at
the time, the whole Y2K fracas was blown way out of proportion.
Industrialized countries which did next to nothing, e.g. Italy, had
virtually no problems either. I believe it's likely that this DTV
transition can also occur without undue fuss and bother from the
Government, as it did in Germany and in the Netherlands (at least).

My *personal* take is that the govt has done what it needed to do (some
argue not always by mandating the best solutions, however that's another
matter). It is now up to those who are entrusted with the spectrum and
who profit from it to inform *their* clients and ensure that these
clients continue to exist in the future.

The full response lists all the steps the FCC has accomplished, starting
1987. These include establishing the modulation standard, frequency
planning during and post transition, station assignments, dates, how
this affects LPTV, cable TV, etc. But no mention of the 2001 comparison
tests with COFDM, or that whole controversy, as far as I can tell.

If indeed the GAO report says that "no comprehensive plan exists for the
DTV transition," I would have to agree with at least those in the FCC
who wrote the response, that this is an overstatement.