[opendtv] Re: FCC on the 123 stations dissuaded from 17 Feb analog switchoff

  • From: "Mark A. Aitken" <maitken@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 17:35:45 -0500

Not sure I fully agree with the assessment. Many more stations (than the indicated 491) would have proceeded with shut down, but because other stations were not, the choice for channel changes back to an analog channel may have meant a 10dB reduction of the digital channel due to D/U (desired to undesired) interference ratios. So, rather than being saddled with such reduction, there were many that chose to just stay as is for now. Lots going on including politics for some, coverage for others, and "this is too damn complicated...even my attorneys can't figure it out with the help of our FCC consultants"...

On 2/16/2009 4:58 PM, Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-09-245A1.pdf

There 491 stations that showed an interest in shutting off analog on
schedule, i.e. 17 Feb 2009. The FCC granted all but 123 their request,
or rather, intent. For these remaining 123, the FCC added switchoff
requirements, to try to make them retain analog until 12 June.

It looks like, that number 123 was paired down to 106, following
"technical corrections" to the original table.

And it looks like, of those 106, 43 were convinced to delay transition.

So, of the 491 that intended to keep to the original schedule, 448 will
do so, and the FCC will check and make sure they meet their extra
"public interest" requirements.

Regards,
Mark A. Aitken
Director, Advanced Technology
===================================
“What you see and hear depends a
good deal on where you are standing;
it also depends on what kind of a
person you are”
<>   ~ C. S. Lewis ~   <><

Things are only impossible until
they're not.
<>   ~ J. L. Picard ~   <><

begin:vcard
fn:Mark A. Aitken
n:Aitken;Mark A.
org:Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc.;Engineering & Operations
adr:;;10706 Beaver Dam Road;Cockeysville;MD;21030;USA
email;internet:maitken@xxxxxxxxxx
title:Director of Advanced Technology
tel;work:(410) 568-1535
tel;fax:(410) 568-1580